Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Never-ending Cycle of Homework and Tests



Homework. Yuck, how I dread those words. It's not really the homework (sometimes doing projects and stuff is fun) but knowing what your teacher wants. Each teacher is different (and some are just insane...wait, did I say that outloud?) and knowing how they grade is key to getting a good grade. But in college, professors often don't have many assignments. They rely on tests instead. I personally hate tests. If you could see me right now, I'm making a disgrusted face. That's because I usually don't do my best on tests. If you asked me any of the test questions in person, I'd most likely ace them. (I say most likely because I'm not a genius and I'll probably get something wrong). But write them down, shove me in a desk, give me a clock to stare at, a warm room to sweat in, and expect me to ace a test? Hmm...I don't think so. More like you've just given me the best reason to FAIL. 
Why do teachers even give out tests anyway? Let's see what you've learned in the past 24 hours when you were shoving the knowledge into your head. Do you remember what you learned four years ago about...say, Ethnic politics? I loved that class. The teacher was amazing. But I honestly only remember tiny, tiny bits and pieces. So why did I spend a semester learning about it, if only to forget by the next semester? Because I needed the grade! (and the credit). How sad that we force our society to learn millions and millions of things in school, but test them in such a way they will only forget it in less than 3 months? Sad.
I propose we do more hands-on. It helps most people learn. So does visually learning as well. Not very many people learn by hearing someone speak, and what do most professors do? LECTURE. Well, why not just give everyone an F before they come into the room!
Oh well. I highly doubt this is going to change. Sorry for my little rant. I'm just so annoyed with the way our system of schooling works. If I could change the world, I think I'd start in the school systems. A lot of revamping is needed there. (Don't worry, I'm not forgetting world hunger, world peace, etc. I'm expecting other people to be working on those things. You know, when people ask the question, "If you could change the world, what would you do?" most people will answer that, so if everyone was able to change the world, then the other stuff would already be taken, so I could change the school systems)

No comments: